Monday, November 12, 2012

1984 Book: Winston's Breaking point


 
A breaking point is the point at which something or someone gives way under strain. Not a lot of people make me hit that breaking point, but if they do, I would want to hurt them for doing whatever they did. I’m not the type of person who breaks down in tears. I’m just like Winston. Winston does not really have people who hit his breaking point, but there was one thing that did make him hit that point that caused him to subject Julia to this torture instead of him, and that was his fears. This is very depressing moment because Winston really loved Julia and she really didn’t do anything to make him do this.
 
One thing that makes me hit my breaking point is when someone is playing a cruel joke or if they are using my fears to scare me. One thing I’m really fearful of is getting shot. My friend did not have a real gun, but he had a BB gun and they really hurt if you get shot by them. I told him that if he shoots me, I’m going to kick his butt. He must have thought I was playing when I told him, because he shot me afterwards. After that, fists were flying and he lost a good friend for a stupid reason. In the book 1984, Winston’s fear was rats. He was very terrified at the sight of them and Obrien used rats to torture Winston. Before Obrien used rats to torture Winston, he had people beat him with fists, weapons, and their feet to get him to break, but that didn’t do anything to Winston. When Obrien used rats, Winston was very frightened. Remember, Winston was afraid at the sight of rats earlier in the book, but these rats are touching and biting off Winston’s face. This made Winston hit his breaking point. It caused him to completely not care if she was going to get hurt or not.
 
Winston really loved Julia. He just couldn’t take all the stress Obrien was giving him and he hit that breaking point and gave in. The person I was originally friends with was a great friend, but he was a bad influence to me. He was just like Julia who was a bad influence to Winston in the book. The secret relationship between them two caused both of them to get arrested and Winston had to go through torture all the time until he gave in and subject Julia to the torture instead of him.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment