Tuesday, November 20, 2012

1984 Book: The Government



The way the government treats the people in this story is somehow similar to how my parents treats me in real life. What the government does is they control every aspect of the citizens’ lives in London. For example, the government controls who they could associate with. My parents do that too, but they do not control every aspect in my life. They do control some of the things that  does not seems right to them like for example, keeping me away from people who are not a good influence to me. The reason why both the government and my parents treat me and the citizens like this is so that things are well civilized and in control. Without this, things would not go well.
In the book, the government controls on how the people spend every minute of their time, and so does my parents about me. The government controls on who the citizens could associate with. My parents do it too, but they do it to protect me. The government controls on what the people could say. My parents won’t allow me to say anything that is rude or inappropriate. The government uses Big Brother to make the people obey the rules, while my parents use scary folk tales to make me cooperate and behave. The government make you watch the government channel on the television, go to pep rallies, and also attend the two minutes Hate. My parents also make me do things like take out the trash, or watch the presidential debate with them, or to walk the dog.
In the novel, 1984, the government had almost total control over the people. The supreme ruler of the government was Big Brother. Posters announced that “Big Brother is Watching You”. Telescreens were everywhere screening brainwashing government programs with propaganda on it. Coins, stamps, books, films, and banners announced the three slogans of the Party: War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, and Ignorance is Strength. The reason why I said that the way that the government treats the citizens is similar to how my parents treat me is because we may not like the way they control things, but the government and my parents have to do these things so things are well civilized. If things are no civilized in London, there would be destruction and the citizens would most likely rebel against the government. If things are not civilized in my parent’s house, there will be problems.

No comments:

Post a Comment